Tuesday, April 24, 2007

camping and hiking Blue Ridge Pkwy

So, this past weekend I went camping and hiking- as the title suggests. It was me, Nathan Dupriest and his cousin Jebon. I think it's "Jebon." Anyway, first we went to humpback rocks, which is about 5 miles south of the Afton Mountain exit for the parkway. It's a short hike- about .8 miles one way, but it's pretty steep. The view at the top is awesome. 360ยบ- plus it was a beautiful day. I didn't have my camera at this point in the trip, so I didn't get any photos, but hopefully I will have some from Nate soon. After Humpback, we headed a little further south on the parkway to Raven's Roost, which is a pull-off overlook that also has some spots for some great climbing. We just did a little bouldering- no top-roping since we didn't want to bother setting stuff up and didn't have enough time for that anyway. In between Humpback Rocks and Raven's Roost is an AT intersection with the parkway- this is where we pull off to go to the camping spot- Dripping Rock. The best camping spot in the valley. possibly. Here's some pictures of the evening:









And the next morning:





Jebon and Nate took a bunch of great pictures too- lots of them wacky, so hopefully I can get them soon and give an update some time.

But it was a great trip, perfect weather. I'm ready to go again, so all my buds reading this, lets go. Especially all you husbands with pregnant wives. ;)

1 comment:

Brian said...

Fonzy,

I concur that it is really cool that your mother was born on Canton Island. Tell me if you find out anymore about that.

Also, I enjoy seeing all your pictures of hikes in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Hopefully, we will get some more opportunities to hike together.

Brian